Balancing a career and motherhood is no easy task. In our culture today, there are so many things grabbing for our attention, and it is easy to feel overwhelmed. White Label Studio was founded by two working mothers who understand the importance of finding a balance between a fulfilling career and being present for their families. While there is no perfect recipe for juggling both, we do have several tips and pieces of advice from personal experience to encourage you.
- Own Your Decision: Whether you strongly feel called into your field of work or choose to work for financial reasons, understand that you are making the best decision for your family. Having an outlet to express yourself and enjoying the work you do outside of the home is a blessing to you and your family. Studies show that women whose moms worked outside the home are more likely to have jobs themselves, hold supervisory responsibility at those jobs, and earn higher wages, than women whose mothers stayed home full-time. Men raised by working mothers are more likely to contribute to household chores and spend more time caring for family members.
- Be Present: One of the most important ways to feel balanced in work and home life is to be fully engaged where you are. The lines in today’s society can easily become blurred with email on cell phones and the feeling of always being connected, but it is important to be present when you are at home. Enjoy family meals unplugged and spend time with children playing outside or participating in an activity together. You will feel like the time you spend with your family is truly devoted to them, and this will energize you for the following day or week at work.
- Don’t Overextend Yourself: It can be so difficult to say no to well-meaning commitments, but when your time is precious, focusing on the most important priorities is a must. During a busy season at work or a demanding age in your child’s life, other commitments may simply not be possible. It is important to understand that this is temporary, and there will be opportunities in the future for commitments outside of family or work.
- Invest in Yourself: The saying “You cannot pour from an empty cup” couldn’t be more accurate! Even if it feels like there are a million things you should be doing instead of taking time for yourself, the reality is, you are the best mother, wife, and employee when you invest in yourself. Whether that means spending 30 minutes in the evening reading a book or getting a weekly massage, these moments help you refuel and be the best version of yourself for your family and company.
- Quit the Comparison Game and Enjoy Yourself: It is so easy to get caught up in comparing your life to the highlight reel you see on social media of other mothers. They seem to have it all together, and you feel like you can’t compete. The truth is that they are probably struggling with the same issues, but social media doesn’t paint the full picture. Instead of spending that precious time scrolling through your feed and feeling discouraged, focus on enjoying your unique family, and the memories you are making. There will be difficult days, no doubt, but even the mundane events are the ones you will look back on and smile about. Soak up every moment with your family and know that you are the best mother for your children.
At the end of the day, having a fulfilling career and a family is possible. It just takes intentionality, grace, and often help. White Label Studio understands the balance is not easy, but we were founded on a desire to help working moms (and parents). We are committed to putting family first and empowering our talented team members to make their schedules work for their unique family situations. We salute all of the working mothers and pray that you know, you are doing a great job!